Please select the link(s) below to download/print the 2019 Gujarati Samaj of Metropolitan Washington Nomination Notice and Form:
Plan for this year is as follows:
Nominations are solicited for the following positions for the Year 2019 committee:
- Vice President
- Joint Secretary
- Joint Treasurer
- Members-At-Large (5 positions)
- Youth Committee Members (1–Convener, 4–members)
Please refer to the Samaj by-laws for eligibility requirements.
Following excerpt is provided for those who are interested in applying for the positions:
Any member with following criteria will be eligible to contest:
- Membership dues must have been paid on or before 1 November 2019.
- Members must have established residence in the metropolitan area prior to 1 September 2019.
$10 fee must be paid for each additional nomination of the candidate being nominated for more than one position.
For the year 2019, we are seeking the nomination for the position of the President. Last year, current Vice-President Mitul Shah was drafted. As per the by-laws, it is required to elect a President that fits the eligibility criteria defined in the Samaj by-laws. Eligibility criteria for this position would be same as Vice-President, as follows:
Article VI 3.b Candidates: Member submitting nomination form for Vice President and President (for year 2019) must be Life Member of the Samaj and should have worked in the executive committee for minimum of 2 years during previous 5 years and must have served at least for one year in position of secretary, joint secretary, treasurer or joint treasurer within last two years.
Important Changes to the By-Laws were made effective in 2011 AGB:
(1) Deposit of $100 is required to be submitted along with each nomination form. $100 will NOT be refunded to the candidate when election would be necessary for a position being contested and the nominated candidate withdraws after the withdrawal deadline. In all other situations, the $100 deposit will be refunded.
(2) A member cannot nominate more than one candidate for each position as mentioned above (Vice-President, Secretary, Jt. Secretary, Treasurer, Jt. Treasurer, Youth Committee Convener) and not more than five candidates for the position of Member-at-Large, and not more than four positions of youth Committee member. If a member nominates more than allowed limit for a position, all nominations by that member for that position will be disqualified.
If there is no eligible nomination received for a position, then the Draft Committee will appoint a member who meets the requirements. No more than one member of a family can be part of the committee. Members of the election committee and their family members are not eligible to contest for any office except youth committee.
Mail/courier the nomination form to:
(no hand delivery or drop off)
Gujarati Samaj of Metropolitan Washington
Nomination forms will be opened on the same day – Friday, 9 November 2018, at 7.30 PM at the above address. If an election is necessary, election date, time and place information will be posted on Samaj’s website. Please check the website for more details.
Any questions in regards to the nomination should be directed to election committee members, President or the Trustees.
Raj Shivjiani (Chair Person) (202) 288-8558 Vijay Bhalala (703) 967-3291
Shaunak Shah (336) 287-4417 Hetal Shah (Alternate) (301) 528-2226